There are many ways for residents and visitors to experience Whitby’s parks and the natural environment. The Town maintains 125 parks with 950 acres of active parkland, over 1000 acres of passive open space and beaches, and approximately 60 kilometres of trails. They are wonderful places to stay active, relax and enjoy in your leisure time.
View our Parks and Facilities Map.
Park Planning and Design
The Town’s Community and Marketing Services Department facilitates recreation opportunities, partnerships and public relations initiatives. Activities include:
- Planning, Designing and Construction of Parks
- Redevelopment and Upgrading of Aging Parks
- Park Plans and Studies
- Culture, Parks, Recreation and Open Space (CPROS) Strategic Master Plan
- Cycling and Leisure Trails Plan
- Sports Facility Strategy
- Waterfront Parks and Open Space Master Plan
- Gate Installation
- Tree and Bench Dedications
- Adopt-a-Park or Adopt-a-Trail initiatives
- Trail Construction and Redevelopment
- Parkland and Open Space Dedications and Purchases
- Accessibility Initiatives
- Earth Day Initiatives
- Liaison with Durham Regional Police
A few basic courtesies ensure that everyone enjoys Whitby’s parks, pathways, and recreational facilities:
- Please walk on the provided trails or grass. Do not disturb wildlife.
- Do not remove or deface trees, shrubs, flowers, grass or rocks.
- Supervise children at all times, especially near water or playground equipment.
- Please keep your dog on a leash at all times and remember to stoop and scoop.
- Help keep Whitby’s parks beautiful. Call 905.668.3437 to report any damage, vandalism or maintenance concerns.
For more information, you can read the Town’s Parks By-law
Park Hours and Maintenance
All Town-operated parks are open April 1 to September 30 from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.except lit sports fields and courts which are open until 11:30 from April 1 to September 30. From October 1 to March 31 parks are open 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Parks Maintenance ensures the care and maintenance of surrounding forests, horticulture/turf, trails, and park grounds. This includes grass mowing, garbage pick up, clean-up and maintenance or repairing of damage and vandalism in parks. Call the Operations Centre at 905.668.3437. Regular business hours, 7:30 a .m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.